- That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we
have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have
handled, of the Word of life;
- (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear
witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the
Father, and was manifested unto us;)
- That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye
also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the
Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.
- And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
- This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare
unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
- If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness,
we lie, and do not the truth:
- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have
fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son
cleanseth us from all sin.
- If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the
truth is not in us.
- If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our
sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his
word is not in us.
- My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin
not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus
Christ the righteous:
- And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only,
but also for the sins of the whole world.
- And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his
- He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a
liar, and the truth is not in him.
- But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God
perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
- He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk,
even as he walked.
- Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old
commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is
the word which ye have heard from the beginning.
- Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in
him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now
- He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in
darkness even until now.
- He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is
none occasion of stumbling in him.
- But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in
darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath
blinded his eyes.
- I write unto you, little children, because your sins are
forgiven you for his name's sake.
- I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is
from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have
overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because
ye have known the Father.
- I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that
is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye
are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome
the wicked one.
- Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world.
If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
- For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the
lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is
of the world.
- And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that
doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
- Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that
antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we
know that it is the last time.
- They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had
been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went
out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
- But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all
- I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but
because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.
- Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He
is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
- Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: he that
acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.
- Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the
beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall
remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.
- And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal
- These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce
- But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you,
and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing
teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as
it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
- And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall
appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his
- If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that
doeth righteousness is born of him.
- Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us,
that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth
us not, because it knew him not.
- Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear
what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be
like him; for we shall see him as he is.
- And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even
as he is pure.
- Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is
the transgression of the law.
- And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in
him is no sin.
- Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not
seen him, neither known him.
- Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth
righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
- He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth
from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested,
that he might destroy the works of the devil.
- Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed
remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
- In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of
the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he
that loveth not his brother.
- For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that
we should love one another.
- Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother.
And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his
- Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.
- We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we
love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
- Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no
murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
- Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his
life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
- But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have
need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth
the love of God in him?
- My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue;
but in deed and in truth.
- And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure
our hearts before him.
- For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and
knoweth all things.
- Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence
- And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his
commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
- And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name
of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us
- And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in
him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he
hath given us.
- Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether
they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the
- Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth
that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
- And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in
the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist,
whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it
in the world.
- Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because
greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
- They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the
world heareth them.
- We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of
God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the
spirit of error.
- Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every
one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
- He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
- In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that
God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live
- Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and
sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
- Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
- No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God
dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
- Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he
hath given us of his Spirit.
- And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to
be the Saviour of the world.
- Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God
dwelleth in him, and he in God.
- And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us.
God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in
- Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in
the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
- There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear:
because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in
- We love him, because he first loved us.
- If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar:
for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love
God whom he hath not seen?
- And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God
love his brother also.
- Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and
every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten
- By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love
God, and keep his commandments.
- For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and
his commandments are not grievous.
- For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is
the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
- Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that
Jesus is the Son of God?
- This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not
by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the, Spirit that
beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.
- For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the
Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
- And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and
the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
- If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater:
for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.
- He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself:
he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth
not the record that God gave of his Son.
- And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life,
and this life is in his Son.
- He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of
God hath not life.
- These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of
the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that
ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
- And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask
any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
- And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that
we have the petitions that we desired of him.
- If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he
shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto
death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for
- All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
- We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that
is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him
- And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in
- And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an
understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him
that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and
- Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.
- The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in
the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the
- For the truth's sake, which dwelleth in us, and shall be with us
- Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and
from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.
- I rejoiced greatly that I found of thy children walking in truth,
as we have received a commandment from the Father.
- And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new
commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that
we love one another.
- And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is
the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should
walk in it.
- For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not
that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an
- Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have
wrought, but that we receive a full reward.
- Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of
Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he
hath both the Father and the Son.
- If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive
him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
- For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
- Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with
paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face,
that our joy may be full.
- The children of thy elect sister greet thee. Amen.
- The elder unto the wellbeloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth.
- Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be
in health, even as thy soul prospereth.
- For I rejoiced greatly, when the brethren came and testified of
the truth that is in thee, even as thou walkest in the truth.
- I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in
- Beloved, thou doest faithfully whatsoever thou doest to the
brethren, and to strangers;
- Which have borne witness of thy charity before the church: whom
if thou bring forward on their journey after a godly sort, thou shalt
- Because that for his name's sake they went forth, taking nothing
of the Gentiles.
- We therefore ought to receive such, that we might be
fellowhelpers to the truth.
- I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the
preeminence among them, receiveth us not.
- Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth,
prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith,
neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that
would, and casteth them out of the church.
- Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good.
He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen
- Demetrius hath good report of all men, and of the truth itself:
yea, and we also bear record; and ye know that our record is true.
- I had many things to write, but I will not with ink and pen
write unto thee:
- But I trust I shall shortly see thee, and we shall speak face to
face. Peace be to thee. Our friends salute thee. Greet the friends
- Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them
that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ,
- Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied.
- Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the
common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort
you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once
delivered unto the saints.
- For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of
old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of
our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our
Lord Jesus Christ.
- I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew
this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of
Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.
- And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their
own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness
unto the judgment of the great day.
- Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like
manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange
flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of
- Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise
dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
- Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he
disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a
railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
- But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but
what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they
- Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran
greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the
gainsaying of Core.
- These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with
you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water,
carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit,
twice dead, plucked up by the roots;
- Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering
stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.
- And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these,
saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
- To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are
ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly
committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have
spoken against him.
- These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts;
and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in
admiration because of advantage.
- But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of
the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;
- How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time,
who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.
- These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the
- But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith,
praying in the Holy Ghost,
- Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our
Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
- And of some have compassion, making a difference:
- And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating
even the garment spotted by the flesh.
- Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to
present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding
- To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion
and power, both now and ever. Amen.