|# 14||Mr. & Mrs. Smith||
To read the Old Testament is an exciting adventure into the commandments God gave to Israel, when we study them we see how much of our lives and government is set up with these very same guidelines for a good government, and better way of life.
Jehovah (yehôvâh) (ιδεδ ) (KJV: LORD)
To know that Jehovah exists (Ex. 20:2; Deut. 5:6)
To love Jehovah
- Exodus 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
- Exodus 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
- Deuteronomy 7:9 Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;
- Deueronomy 6:4 Hear, O, Israel. Jehovah our God is one Jehovah.
- Mark 12:29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, "Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God is one Lord;
Have no other Gods
- Mark 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
- Deuteronomy 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
- Deuteronomy 10:12 And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,
- Deuteronomy 11:1 Therefore thou shalt love the LORD thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his judgments, and his commandments, always.
- Deuteronomy 30:6 And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.
- Zephaniah 3:17 The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.
- Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Not to blaspheme, curse, or take His name in vain.
- Exodus 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
- Exodus 23:13 And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.
- Deuteronomy 6:14 Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you;
To fear Him reverently
- Exodus 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
- Leviticus 22:32 Neither shall ye profane my holy name; but I will be hallowed among the children of Israel: I am the LORD which hallow you,
- Leviticus 24:15 And thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel, saying, Whosoever curseth his God shall bear his sin.
- Leviticus 24:16 And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him: as well the stranger, as he that is born in the land, when he blasphemeth the name of the LORD, shall be put to death.
- Deuteronomy 5:11 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain: for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
- Mark 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:
Not to put the word of God to the test (Gen 22:1) (Mt 22:18) (Mt 4:1)
- Deuteronomy 10:20 Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God; him shalt thou serve, and to him shalt thou cleave, and swear by his name.
- Psalms 89:7 God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints, and to be had in reverence of all them that are about him.
- Heb 12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
To imitate His good and upright ways
- Deuteronomy 6:16 Ye shall not tempt the LORD your God, as ye tempted him in Massah. (Exodus 17)
- Matthew 4:7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
- Deuteronomy 28:9 The LORD shall establish thee a holy people unto himself, as he hath sworn unto thee, if thou shalt keep the commandments of the LORD thy God, and walk in his ways.
Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
To learn scripture, to teach it, & read it each morning and evening
- Deuteronomy 6:6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: 7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
- Psalms 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
- 2Timothy 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
- 2Timothy 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
To circumcise the male offspring
- Deuteronomy 6:9 And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.
- Deuteronomy 11:18 Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes.
- Numbers 15:38 Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them fringes in the borders of their garments throughout their generations, and that they put upon the fringe of the borders a ribbon of blue: 39 And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the LORD, and do them; and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring: 40 That ye may remember, and do all my commandments, and be holy unto your God.
To honor the old and the wise
- Genesis 17:12 And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.
- Leviticus 12:3 And in the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised.
- Leviticus 19:32 Thou shalt rise up before the hoary head, and honor the face of the old man, and fear thy God: I am the LORD.
- 1Timothy 5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honor, especially they who labor in the word and doctrine.
Prayer and Blessings
To pray to God
To pray after meals
- Exodus 23:25 And ye shall serve (worshipper/prayer) the LORD your God, and he shall bless thy bread, and thy water; and I will take sickness away from the midst of thee.
- Deuteronomy 6:13 Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God, and serve him, and shalt swear by his name.
- Mathew 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Do not make or worship idols
- Deuteronomy 8:10 When thou hast eaten and art full, then thou shalt bless the LORD thy God for the good land which he hath given thee.
- Leviticus 26:1 Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God.
Love and Brotherhood
To love all human beings who are of the covenant / Not to take revenge / Not to bear a grudge
Not to carry tales / Not to stand by idly when a human life is in danger
- Leviticus 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself: I am the LORD.
- Mark 12:31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
- James 5:9 Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the door.
Not to wrong any one in speech
- Leviticus 19:16 Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbor: I am the LORD.
Not to cherish hatred in one's heart / To rebuke the sinner
- Leviticus 25:17 Ye shall not therefore oppress one another; but thou shalt fear thy God: for I am the LORD your God.
- Leviticus 19:17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbor, and not suffer sin upon him.
- 2 Thessalonians 3:14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.
15 Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.
The Poor and Unfortunate
Not to afflict an orphan or a widow
Not to reap the entire field / To leave the gleanings for the poor
- Exodus 22:22 Ye shall not afflict any widow, or fatherless child.
- Leviticus 19:9 And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not wholly reap the corners of thy field, neither shalt thou gather the gleanings of thy harvest.
- Leviticus 19:10 And thou shalt not glean thy vineyard, neither shalt thou gather every grape of thy vineyard; thou shalt leave them for the poor and stranger: I am the LORD your God.
- Leviticus 23:22 And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not make clean riddance of the corners of thy field when thou reapest, neither shalt thou gather any gleaning of thy harvest: thou shalt leave them unto the poor, and to the stranger: I am the LORD your God.
To give charity according to one's means
- Deuteronomy 15:6 For the LORD thy God blesseth thee, as he promised thee: and thou shalt lend unto many nations, but thou shalt not borrow; and thou shalt reign over many nations, but they shall not reign over thee.
- Deuteronomy 15:7 If there be among you a poor man of one of thy brethren within any of thy gates in thy land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not harden thine heart, nor shut thine hand from thy poor brother:
- Deuteronomy 15:8 But thou shalt open thine hand wide unto him, and shalt surely lend him sufficient for his need, in that which he wanteth.
- Deuteronomy 15:11 For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land.
Marriage, Divorce and Family
To honor father and mother
Not to smite a father or a mother
- Exodus 20:12 Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
Not to curse a father or mother
- Exodus 21:15 And he that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death.
To reverently fear father and mother
- Exodus 21:17 And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.
To be fruitful and multiply
- Leviticus 19:3 Ye shall fear every man his mother, and his father, and keep my sabbaths: I am the LORD your God.
That there shall be no intercourse with a woman, without previous marriage with a deed of marriage
and formal declaration of marriage
- Genesis 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
That the newly married husband shall (be free) for one year to rejoice with
- Deuteronomy 23:17 There shall be no whore of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel. Thou shalt not bring the hire of a whore, or the price of a dog, into the house of the LORD thy God for any vow: for even both these are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
To divorce by a formal written document
- Deuteronomy 24:5 When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business: but he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken.
- Deuteronomy 24:1 When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favor in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. 2 And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.
Forbidden Sexual Relations
Not to indulge in familiarities with relatives, which may lead to incest (Lev. 18:6)
Not to commit incest with one's mother (Lev. 18:7)
Not to commit sodomy with one's father (Lev. 18:7)
Not to commit incest with one's father's wife (Lev. 18:8)
Not to commit incest with one's sister (Lev. 18:9)
Not to commit incest with one's son's daughter (Lev. 18:10)
Not to commit incest with one's daughter's daughter (Lev. 18:10)
Not to commit incest with one's daughter
Not to commit incest with one's father's wife's daughter (Lev. 18:11)
Not to commit incest with one's fathers sister (Lev. 18:12)
Not to commit incest with one's mother's sister (Lev. 18:13)
Not to commit incest with one's father's brothers wife (Lev. 18:14)
Not to commit sodomy with one's father's brother (Lev. 18:14)
Not to commit incest with one's son's wife (Lev. 18:15)
Not to commit incest with one's brother's wife (Lev. 18:16)
Not to commit incest with one's wife's daughter (Lev. 18:17)
Not to commit incest with the daughter of one's wife's son (Lev. 18:17)
Not to commit incest with the daughter of one's wife's daughter (Lev. 18:17)
Leviticus 18:5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the LORD.
6 None of you shall approach to any that is near of kin to him, to uncover their nakedness: I am the LORD.
7 The nakedness of thy father, or the nakedness of thy mother, shalt thou not uncover: she is thy mother; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.
8 The nakedness of thy father's wife shalt thou not uncover: it is thy father's nakedness.
9 The nakedness of thy sister, the daughter of thy father, or daughter of thy mother, whether she be born at home, or born abroad, even their nakedness thou shalt not uncover.
10 The nakedness of thy son's daughter, or of thy daughter's daughter, even their nakedness thou shalt not uncover: for theirs is thine own nakedness.
Not to commit incest with one's wife's sister (Lev. 18:18)
Not to have intercourse with a woman, in her menstrual period (Lev. 18:19)
Not to have intercourse with another man's wife (Lev. 18:20)
Not to commit sodomy with a male (Lev. 18:22)
Not to have intercourse with a beast (Lev. 18:23)
That a woman shall not have intercourse with a beast (Lev. 18:23)
- Leviticus 18:11 The nakedness of thy father's wife's daughter, begotten of thy father, she is thy sister, thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.
12 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy father's sister: she is thy father's near kinswoman.
13 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy mother's sister: for she is thy mother's near kinswoman.
14 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy father's brother, thou shalt not approach to his wife: she is thine aunt.
15 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy daughter-in-law: she is thy son's wife; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.
16 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy brother's wife: it is thy brother's nakedness.
17 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of a woman and her daughter, neither shalt thou take her son's daughter, or her daughter's daughter, to uncover her nakedness; for they are her near kinswomen: it is wickedness.
Leviticus 18:18 Neither shalt thou take a wife to her sister, to vex her, to uncover her nakedness, beside the other in her life time.
19 Also thou shalt not approach unto a woman to uncover her nakedness, as long as she is put apart for her uncleanness.
20 Moreover thou shalt not lie carnally with thy neighbor's wife, to defile thyself with her.
21 And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD.
22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
23 Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion.
24 Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out before you:
Times and Seasons
That the new month shall be solemnly proclaimed as holy.
Not to travel on Shabbat outside the limits of one's place of residence
- Exodus 12:2 This month shall be unto you the beginning of months: it shall be the first month of the year to you.
To sanctify Shabbat .
- Exodus 16:29 See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.
Not to do work on Shabbat
- Exodus 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
To rest on Shabbat (Ex. 23:12; 34:21)
- Exodus 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
To celebrate the festivals (Passover, Shavu'ot and Sukkot)
- Exodus 23:12 Six days thou shalt do thy work, and on the seventh day thou shalt rest: that thine ox and thine ass may rest, and the son of thy handmaid, and the stranger, may be refreshed.
- Exodus 34:21 Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest: in earing time and in harvest thou shalt rest.
To rejoice on the festivals
- Exodus 23:14 Three times thou shalt keep a feast unto me in the year.
To appear in the Sanctuary on the festivals
- Deuteronomy 16:14 And thou shalt rejoice in thy feast, thou, and thy son, and thy daughter, and thy manservant, and thy maidservant, and the Levite, the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, that are within thy gates.
To remove leaven on the Eve of Passover
- Deuteronomy 16:16 Three times in a year shall all thy males appear before the LORD thy God in the place which he shall choose; in the feast of unleavened bread, and in the feast of weeks, and in the feast of tabernacles: and they shall not appear before the LORD empty:
To rest on the first day of Passover (Ex. 12:16; Lev. 23:7)
Not to do work on the first day of Passover (Ex. 12:16; Lev. 23:6-7)
To rest on the seventh day of Passover (Ex. 12:16; Lev. 23:8)
Not to do work on the seventh day of Passover (Ex. 12:16; Lev. 23:8)
- Exodus 12:15 Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel.
To eat unleavened bread on the first night of Passover
- Exodus 12:16 And in the first day there shall be an holy convocation, and in the seventh day there shall be an holy convocation to you; no manner of work shall be done in them, save that which every man must eat, that only may be done of you.
- Leviticus 23:6 And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread. (7) In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein. (8) But ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD seven days: in the seventh day is an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.
That no leaven be in the Israelite's possession during Passover
- Exodus 12:18 In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at even, ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the one and twentieth day of the month at even.
Not to eat any food containing leaven on Passover
- Exodus 12:19 Seven days shall there be no leaven found in your houses: for whosoever eateth that which is leavened, even that soul shall be cut off from the congregation of Israel, whether he be a stranger, or born in the land.
Not to eat leaven on Passover
- Exodus 12:20 Ye shall eat nothing leavened; in all your habitations shall ye eat unleavened bread.
That leaven shall not be seen in an Israelite's home during Passover
- Exodus 13:3 And Moses said unto the people, Remember this day, in which ye came out from Egypt, out of the house of bondage; for by strength of hand the LORD brought you out from this place: there shall no leavened bread be eaten.
To discuss the departure from Egypt on the first night of Passover
- Exodus 13:7 Unleavened bread shall be eaten seven days; and there shall no leavened bread be seen with thee, neither shall there be leaven seen with thee in all thy quarters.
Not to eat leaven after mid-day on the fourteenth of Nissan
- Exodus 13:8 And thou shalt shew thy son in that day, saying, This is done because of that which the LORD did unto me when I came forth out of Egypt.
To count forty-nine days from the time of the cutting of the Omer (first
sheaves of the barley harvest)
- Deuteronomy 16:3 Thou shalt eat no leavened bread with it; seven days shalt thou eat unleavened bread therewith, even the bread of affliction; for thou camest forth out of the land of Egypt in haste: that thou mayest remember the day when thou camest forth out of the land of Egypt all the days of thy life.
To rest on Shavu'ot (Lev. 23:21)
Not to do work on the Shavu'ot
- Leviticus 23:15 And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:
To rest on Rosh Hashanah
- Leviticus 23:21 And ye shall proclaim on the selfsame day, that it may be an holy convocation unto you: ye shall do no servile work therein: it shall be a statute for ever in all your dwellings throughout your generations.
Not to do work on Rosh Hashanah
- Leviticus 23:24 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation.
To hear the sound of the shofar on Rosh Hashanah
- Leviticus 23:25 Ye shall do no servile work therein: but ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD.
To fast on Yom Kippur
- Numbers 29:1 And in the seventh month, on the first day of the month, ye shall have an holy convocation; ye shall do no servile work: it is a day of blowing the trumpets unto you.
Not to eat or drink on Yom Kippur
- Leviticus 23:27 Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD.
Not to do work on Yom Kippur
- Leviticus 23:29 For whatsoever soul it be that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be cut off from among his people.
To rest on the Yom Kippur
- Leviticus 23:31 Ye shall do no manner of work: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.
To rest on the first day of Sukkot
Not to do work on the first day of Sukkot
- Leviticus 23:32 It shall be unto you a sabbath of rest, and ye shall afflict your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath.
To rest on the eighth day of Sukkot (Shemini Atzeret) (Lev. 23:36)
Not to do work on the eighth day of Sukkot (Shemini Atzeret)
- Leviticus 23:35 On the first day shall be an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.
To take during Sukkot a palm branch and the other three plants
- Leviticus 23:36 Seven days ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD: on the eighth day shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD: it is a solemn assembly; and ye shall do no servile work therein.
To dwell in booths seven days during Sukkot
- Leviticus 23:40 And ye shall take you on the first day the boughs of goodly trees, branches of palm trees, and the boughs of thick trees, and willows of the brook; and ye shall rejoice before the LORD your God seven days.
- Leviticus 23:42 Ye shall dwell in booths seven days; all that are Israelites born shall dwell in booths:
To examine the marks in cattle (so as to distinguish the clean from the unclean)
Not to eat the flesh of unclean beasts
- Leviticus 11:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, These are the beasts which ye shall eat among all the beasts that are on the earth.
To examine the marks in fishes (so as to distinguish the clean from the unclean
- Leviticus 11:4 Nevertheless these shall ye not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the hoof: as the camel, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.
Not to eat unclean fish
- Leviticus 11:9 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.
To examine the marks in fowl, so as to distinguish the clean from the unclean
- Leviticus 11:10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: (11) They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.
Not to eat unclean fowl
- Deuteronomy 14:11 Of all clean birds ye shall eat.
To examine the marks in locusts, so as to distinguish the clean from the
- Leviticus 11:13 And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray,
Not to eat a worm found in fruit
Not to eat of things that creep upon the earth
- Leviticus 11:21 Yet these may ye eat of every flying creeping thing that goeth upon all four, which have legs above their feet, to leap withal upon the earth; (22) Even these of them ye may eat; the locust after his kind, and the bald locust after his kind, and the beetle after his kind, and the grasshopper after his kind.
Not to eat any vermin of the earth
- Leviticus 11:41 And every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth shall be an abomination; it shall not be eaten. (42) Whatsoever goeth upon the belly, and whatsoever goeth upon all four, or whatsoever hath more feet among all creeping things that creep upon the earth, them ye shall not eat; for they are an abomination.
Not to eat things that swarm in the water
- Leviticus 11:44 For I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy: neither shall ye defile yourselves with any manner of creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Not to eat of winged insects
- Lev 11:43 Ye shall not make yourselves abominable with any creeping thing that creepeth, neither shall ye make yourselves unclean with them, that ye should be defiled thereby. 46 This is the law of the beasts, and of the fowl, and of every living creature that moveth in the waters, and of every creature that creepeth upon the earth:
Not to eat the flesh of a beast that is terefah (lit torn)
- Deuteronomy 14:19 And every creeping thing that flieth is unclean unto you: they shall not be eaten.
Not to eat the flesh of a beast that died of itself
- Exodus 22:31 And ye shall be holy men unto me: neither shall ye eat any flesh that is torn of beasts in the field; ye shall cast it to the dogs.
To slay cattle, deer and fowl according to the laws of shechitah if their
flesh is to be eaten ("as I have commanded" in this verse refers
to the technique)
- Deuteronomy 14:21 Ye shall not eat of any thing that dieth of itself: thou shalt give it unto the stranger that is in thy gates, that he may eat it; or thou mayest sell it unto an alien: for thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.
Not to eat a limb removed from a living beast
- Deuteronomy 12:21 If the place which the LORD thy God hath chosen to put his name there be too far from thee, then thou shalt kill of thy herd and of thy flock, which the LORD hath given thee, as I have commanded thee, and thou shalt eat in thy gates whatsoever thy soul lusteth after.
Not to slaughter an animal and its young on the same day
- Deuteronomy 12:23 Only be sure that thou eat not the blood: for the blood is the life; and thou mayest not eat the life with the flesh.
Not to take the mother-bird with the young
To set the mother-bird free when taking the nest
- Leviticus 22:28 And whether it be cow or ewe, ye shall not kill it and her young both in one day.
Not to eat the flesh of an ox that was condemned to be stoned
- Deuteronomy 22:6 If a bird's nest chance to be before thee in the way in any tree, or on the ground, whether they be young ones, or eggs, and the dam sitting upon the young, or upon the eggs, thou shalt not take the dam with the young: (7) But thou shalt in any wise let the dam go, and take the young to thee; that it may be well with thee, and that thou mayest prolong thy days.
Not to boil meat with milk (Ex. 23:19)
- Exodus 21:28 If an ox gore a man or a woman, that they die: then the ox shall be surely stoned, and his flesh shall not be eaten; but the owner of the ox shall be quit.
Not to eat flesh with milk
- Exodus 23:19 The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring into the house of the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.
Not to eat the of the thigh-vein which shrank
- Exodus 34:26 The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.
Not to eat chelev (tallow-fat)
- Genesis 32:32 Therefore the children of Israel eat not of the sinew which shrank, which is upon the hollow of the thigh, unto this day: because he touched the hollow of Jacob's thigh in the sinew that shrank.
Not to eat blood
- Leviticus 7:23 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, Ye shall eat no manner of fat, of ox, or of sheep, or of goat.
To cover the blood of undomesticated animals (deer, etc.) and of fowl that
have been killed
- Leviticus 7:26 Moreover ye shall eat no manner of blood, whether it be of fowl or of beast, in any of your dwellings.
Not to eat or drink like a glutton or a drunkard (not to rebel against father
- Leviticus 17:13 And whatsoever man there be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, which hunteth and catcheth any beast or fowl that may be eaten; he shall even pour out the blood thereof, and cover it with dust.
- Leviticus 19:26 Ye shall not eat any thing with the blood: neither shall ye use enchantment, nor observe times. Deuteronomy 21:20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
Not to do wrong in buying or selling
Not to make a loan to an Israelite on interest
- Leviticus 25:14 And if thou sell ought unto thy neighbour, or buyest ought of thy neighbour's hand, ye shall not oppress one another:
Not to borrow on interest (because this would cause the lender
Leviticus 25:37 Thou shalt not give him thy money upon usury, nor lend him thy victuals for increase.
Not to take part in any usurious transaction between borrower and lender, neither as a surety, nor as a witness, nor as a writer of the bond for them
To lend to a poor person (even though the passage says "if you
lend" it is understood as obligatory)
Not to demand from a poor man repayment of his debt, when the creditor knows
that he cannot pay, nor press him
Deuteronomy 23:20 Unto a stranger thou mayest lend upon usury; but unto thy brother thou shalt not lend upon usury: that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all that thou settest thine hand to in the land whither thou goest to possess it.
Not to take in pledge utensils used in preparing food
Exodus 22:25 If thou lend money to any of my people that is poor by thee, thou shalt not be to him as an usurer, neither shalt thou lay upon him usury.
Not to exact a pledge from a debtor by force
Deuteronomy 24:6 No man shall take the nether or the upper millstone to pledge: for he taketh a man's life to pledge.
Not to keep the pledge from its owner at the time when he needs it (Deut.
To return a pledge to its owner (Deut. 24:13)
Not to possess inaccurate measures and weights (Deut. 25:13-14)
- Deuteronomy 24:10 When thou dost lend thy brother any thing, thou shalt not go into his house to fetch his pledge.
Not to take a pledge from a widow
Deuteronomy 24:12 And if the man be poor, thou shalt not sleep with his pledge:
13: In any case thou shalt deliver him the pledge again when the sun goeth down, that he may sleep in his own raiment, and bless thee: and it shall be righteousness unto thee before the LORD thy God.
14: Thou shalt not oppress an hired servant that is poor and needy, whether he be of thy brethren, or of thy strangers that are in thy land within thy gates:
Not to commit fraud in measuring (Lev. 19:35)
Deuteronomy 24:17 Thou shalt not pervert the judgment of the stranger, nor of the fatherless; nor take a widow's raiment to pledge:
To ensure that scales and weights are correct (Lev. 19:36)
Leviticus 19:35 Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment, in meteyard, in weight, or in measure.
Not to delay payment of a hired man's wages
Leviticus 19:35 Just balances, just weights, a just ephah, and a just hin, shall ye have: I am the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt.
To pay wages to the hired man at the due time
Leviticus 19:13 Thou shalt not defraud thy neighbour, neither rob him: the wages of him that is hired shall not abide with thee all night until the morning.
Not to muzzle a beast, while it is working in produce which it can eat and
Deuteronomy 24:15 At his day thou shalt give him his hire, neither shall the sun go down upon it; for he is poor, and setteth his heart upon it: lest he cry against thee unto the LORD, and it be sin unto thee.
Deuteronomy 25:4 Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn.
Vows, Oaths and Swearing
That a man should fulfill whatever he has uttered
Not to swear needlessly
Deuteronomy 23:23 That which is gone out of thy lips thou shalt keep and perform; even a freewill offering, according as thou hast vowed unto the LORD thy God, which thou hast promised with thy mouth.
Not to violate an oath or swear falsely
Exodus 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
Not to break a vow (Num. 30:2)
To decide in cases of annulment of vows, according to the rules set forth
Leviticus 19:12 And ye shall not swear by my name falsely, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD.
To swear by His name truly
Numbers 30:2-16 If a man vow a vow unto the LORD, or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond; he shall not break his word, he shall do according to all that proceedeth out of his mouth. (3) If a woman also vow a vow unto the LORD, and bind herself by a bond, being in her father's house in her youth; (4) And her father hear her vow, and her bond wherewith she hath bound her soul, and her father shall hold his peace at her: then all her vows shall stand, and every bond wherewith she hath bound her soul shall stand. (5) But if her father disallow her in the day that he heareth; not any of her vows, or of her bonds wherewith she hath bound her soul, shall stand: and the LORD shall forgive her, because her father disallowed her. (6) And if she had at all an husband, when she vowed, or uttered ought out of her lips, wherewith she bound her soul; (7) And her husband heard it, and held his peace at her in the day that he heard it: then her vows shall stand, and her bonds wherewith she bound her soul shall stand. (8) But if her husband disallowed her on the day that he heard it; then he shall make her vow which she vowed, and that which she uttered with her lips, wherewith she bound her soul, of none effect: and the LORD shall forgive her. (9) But every vow of a widow, and of her that is divorced, wherewith they have bound their souls, shall stand against her. (10) And if she vowed in her husband's house, or bound her soul by a bond with an oath; (11) And her husband heard it, and held his peace at her, and disallowed her not: then all her vows shall stand, and every bond wherewith she bound her soul shall stand. (12) But if her husband hath utterly made them void on the day he heard them; then whatsoever proceeded out of her lips concerning her vows, or concerning the bond of her soul, shall not stand: her husband hath made them void; and the LORD shall forgive her. (13) Every vow, and every binding oath to afflict the soul, her husband may establish it, or her husband may make it void. (14) But if her husband altogether hold his peace at her from day to day; then he establisheth all her vows, or all her bonds, which are upon her: he confirmeth them, because he held his peace at her in the day that he heard them. (15) But if he shall any ways make them void after that he hath heard them; then he shall bear her iniquity. (16) These are the statutes, which the LORD commanded Moses, between a man and his wife, between the father and his daughter, being yet in her youth in her father's house.
Not to delay in fulfilling vows or bringing vowed or free-will offerings
Deuteronomy 10:20 Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God; him shalt thou serve, and to him shalt thou cleave, and swear by his name.
Deuteronomy 23:21-23 When thou shalt vow a vow unto the LORD thy God, thou shalt not slack to pay it: for the LORD thy God will surely require it of thee; and it would be sin in thee. (22) But if thou shalt forbear to vow, it shall be no sin in thee. (23) That which is gone out of thy lips thou shalt keep and perform; even a freewill offering, according as thou hast vowed unto the LORD thy God, which thou hast promised with thy mouth.
The Court and Judicial Procedure
To appoint judges and officers in every community of Israel .
Not to appoint as a judge, a person who is not well versed in the laws of
the Torah, even if he is expert in other branches
of knowledge .
Deuteronomy 16:18 Judges and officers shalt thou make thee in all thy gates, which the LORD thy God giveth thee, throughout thy tribes: and they shall judge the people with just judgment.
To adjudicate cases of purchase and sale
Deuteronomy 1:17 Ye shall not respect persons in judgment; but ye shall hear the small as well as the great; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man; for the judgment is God's: and the cause that is too hard for you, bring it unto me, and I will hear it.
To judge cases of liability of a paid depositary .
Leviticus 25:14 And if thou sell ought unto thy neighbour, or buyest ought of thy neighbour's hand, ye shall not oppress one another:
To adjudicate cases of loss for which a gratuitous borrower is liable
Exodus 22:9 For all manner of trespass, whether it be for ox, for ass, for sheep, for raiment, or for any manner of lost thing, which another challengeth to be his, the cause of both parties shall come before the judges; and whom the judges shall condemn, he shall pay double unto his neighbour.
To adjudicate cases of inheritances
Exodus 22:13-14 If it be torn in pieces, then let him bring it for witness, and he shall not make good that which was torn. (14) And if a man borrow ought of his neighbour, and it be hurt, or die, the owner thereof being not with it, he shall surely make it good.
To judge cases of damage caused by an uncovered pit
Numbers 27:8-11 And thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a man die, and have no son, then ye shall cause his inheritance to pass unto his daughter. (9) And if he have no daughter, then ye shall give his inheritance unto his brethren. (10) And if he have no brethren, then ye shall give his inheritance unto his father's brethren. (11) And if his father have no brethren, then ye shall give his inheritance unto his kinsman that is next to him of his family, and he shall possess it: and it shall be unto the children of Israel a statute of judgment, as the LORD commanded Moses.
To judge cases of injuries caused by beasts .
Exodus 21:33-34 KJV And if a man shall open a pit, or if a man shall dig a pit, and not cover it, and an ox or an ass fall therein; (34) The owner of the pit shall make it good, and give money unto the owner of them; and the dead beast shall be his.
To adjudicate cases of damage caused by trespass of cattle (Ex. 22:4)
To adjudicate cases of damage caused by fire (Ex. 22:5) .
To adjudicate cases of damage caused by a gratuitous depositary (Ex. 22:6-7)
To adjudicate other cases between a plaintiff and a defendant (Ex. 22:8)
Exodus 21:35-36 And if one man's ox hurt another's, that he die; then they shall sell the live ox, and divide the money of it; and the dead ox also they shall divide. (36) Or if it be known that the ox hath used to push in time past, and his owner hath not kept him in; he shall surely pay ox for ox; and the dead shall be his own.
Not to curse a judge
Exodus 22:4-8 If the theft be certainly found in his hand alive, whether it be ox, or ass, or sheep; he shall restore double. (5) If a man shall cause a field or vineyard to be eaten, and shall put in his beast, and shall feed in another man's field; of the best of his own field, and of the best of his own vineyard, shall he make restitution. (6) If fire break out, and catch in thorns, so that the stacks of corn, or the standing corn, or the field, be consumed therewith; he that kindled the fire shall surely make restitution. (7) If a man shall deliver unto his neighbour money or stuff to keep, and it be stolen out of the man's house; if the thief be found, let him pay double. (8) If the thief be not found, then the master of the house shall be brought unto the judges, to see whether he have put his hand unto his neighbour's goods.
That one who possesses evidence shall testify in Court .
Exodus 22:28 Thou shalt not revile the gods, nor curse the ruler of thy people.
Not to testify falsely
Leviticus 5:1 And if a soul sin, and hear the voice of swearing, and is a witness, whether he hath seen or known of it; if he do not utter it, then he shall bear his iniquity.
That a witness, who has testified in a capital case, shall not lay down the
law in that particular case .
Exodus 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
That a transgressor shall not testify
Not to hear one of the parties to a suit in the absence of the other party
Numbers 35:30 Whoso killeth any person, the murderer shall be put to death by the mouth of witnesses: but one witness shall not testify against any person to cause him to die.
That the court shall not accept the testimony of a close relative of the
defendant in matters of capital punishment .
Exodus 23:1 Thou shalt not raise a false report: put not thine hand with the wicked to be an unrighteous witness.
To examine witnesses thoroughly .
Deuteronomy 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.
Not to decide a case on the evidence of a single witness .
To treat parties in a litigation with equal impartiality .
Not to render iniquitous decisions .
Not to favor a great man when trying a case
Deuteronomy 13:14 Then shalt thou enquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and, behold, if it be truth, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought among you;
To give the decision according to the majority, when there is a difference
of opinion .
Not to decide, in capital cases, according to the view of the majority, when
those who are for condemnation exceed by one only, those who are for acquittal
That, in capital cases, one who had argued for acquittal, shall not later
on argue for condemnation
Deuteronomy 19:15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.
Not to take a bribe .
Exodus 23:2 Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil; neither shalt thou speak in a cause to decline after many to wrest judgment:
Not to be afraid of a bad man, when trying a case (Deut. 1:17) .
Exodus 23:8 And thou shalt take no gift: for the gift blindeth the wise, and perverteth the words of the righteous.
Not to be moved in trying a case, by the poverty of one of the parties .
Deuteronomy 1:17 Ye shall not respect persons in judgment; but ye shall hear the small as well as the great; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man; for the judgment is God's: and the cause that is too hard for you, bring it unto me, and I will hear it.
Not to pervert the judgment of strangers or orphans (Deut. 24:17).
Exodus 23:3 Neither shalt thou countenance a poor man in his cause.
Leviticus 19:15 Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honour the person of the mighty: but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour.
Not to pervert the judgment of a sinner (a person poor in fulfillment of
Deuteronomy 24:17 Thou shalt not pervert the judgment of the stranger, nor of the fatherless; nor take a widow's raiment to pledge:
Not to execute one guilty of a capital offense, before he has stood his trial
Exodus 23:6 Thou shalt not wrest the judgment of thy poor in his cause.
To accept the rulings of every Supreme Court in Israel .
Numbers 35:12 And they shall be unto you cities for refuge from the avenger; that the manslayer die not, until he stand before the congregation in judgment.
Deuteronomy 17:11-12 According to the sentence of the law which they shall teach thee, and according to the judgment which they shall tell thee, thou shalt do: thou shalt not decline from the sentence which they shall shew thee, to the right hand, nor to the left. (12) And the man that will do presumptuously, and will not hearken unto the priest that standeth to minister there before the LORD thy God, or unto the judge, even that man shall die: and thou shalt put away the evil from Israel.
The Sabbatical and Jubilee Years
To let the land lie fallow in the Sabbatical year
To cease from tilling the land in the Sabbatical year
Not to till the ground in the Sabbatical year (Lev. 25:4)
Not to do any work on the trees in the Sabbatical year (Lev. 25:4)
Exodus 23:11 But the seventh year thou shalt let it rest and lie still; that the poor of thy people may eat: and what they leave the beasts of the field shall eat. In like manner thou shalt deal with thy vineyard, and with thy oliveyard.
Leviticus 25:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye come into the land which I give you, then shall the land keep a sabbath unto the LORD.
Not to reap the aftermath that grows in the Sabbatical year, in the same
way as it is reaped in other years .
Not to gather the fruit of the tree in the Sabbatical year in the same way
as it is gathered in other years .
Leviticus 25:4 But in the seventh year shall be a sabbath of rest unto the land, a sabbath for the LORD: thou shalt neither sow thy field, nor prune thy vineyard.
To sound the Ram's horn in the Sabbatical year .
Leviticus 25:5 That which groweth of its own accord of thy harvest thou shalt not reap, neither gather the grapes of thy vine undressed: for it is a year of rest unto the land.
To keep the Jubilee year holy by resting and letting the land lie fallow
Leviticus 25:9 Then shalt thou cause the trumpet of the jubile to sound on the tenth day of the seventh month, in the day of atonement shall ye make the trumpet sound throughout all your land.
Not to cultivate the soil nor do any work on the trees, in the Jubilee Year
Not to reap the aftermath of the field that grew of itself in the Jubilee
Year, in the same way as in other years .
Not to gather the fruit of the tree in the Jubilee Year, in the same way
as in other years .
Leviticus 25:10 And ye shall hallow the fiftieth year, and proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof: it shall be a jubile unto you; and ye shall return every man unto his possession, and ye shall return every man unto his family.
To grant redemption to the land in the Jubilee year .
Leviticus 25:11 A jubile shall that fiftieth year be unto you: ye shall not sow, neither reap that which groweth of itself in it, nor gather the grapes in it of thy vine undressed.
Leviticus 25:24 And in all the land of your possession ye shall grant a redemption for the land.
The above is only a partial list of the commandments.
To see a more detailed list visit: http://www.jewfaq.org/613.htm