Blocks, Businesses & MORE!-2008

The following has been graciously offered by a local historian for publication here, first in 2004, updated in 2008. It is the work of over a decade of (continuing) research. Thanks to Ann for her work on this, the most complete such work I've ever seen. This section may be updated periodically, and I will date each update. Also, some excerpts from this main repository of information may be be placed elsewhere on this site, by category. Please find her corresponding map on the MAPS link to the left. This wonderful map is my 1874 copy but with her modern-day gridding superimposed over it, then the following locations put in and numbered. You can then use her legend on the right of this map to find out which building was located there. It's pretty awesome!

UPDATED: 3/29/2008:

The information below was excerpted from various sources by Ann M. Nelson whose great grandmother and great grandfather, Mary and Thomas PILLON, arrived in Brainerd via stagecoach circa 1873.

These existed in Brainerd in the late 1870’s per an article in the Brainerd Dispatch, 01 June 1922:

•Mr. Ferris is on the corner of Fifth and Front, where he is agent for the United States Express Company.

•John Martin keeps a saloon where the hose house [The hose house was next to the Opera House (behind it on the north side of Front Street opposite the intersection of Front and Fifth Streets.)] now stands.

•Mrs. Shupe is keeping a boarding house where the city hall stands. (Northeast corner of Laurel and South Fifth Streets)

•Pete Mertz keeps a livery stable where the Harrison Hotel stands. (In the Iron Exchange Building on the northwest corner of Sixth and Laurel Streets.)

•Mrs. Chapman [1831-1925] keeps a hotel on the corner where McColl [photographer] is now.

•W. W. Hartley is editor of the Brainerd Tribune where the Northern Home Furnishing Co. is.

•Harry Quinen [Quinlen?] has a barber shop where the Brainerd Dispatch is now. (East side of South Sixth Street, middle of the block just north of the old Elks Hotel building.)

•E. H. Bly has a double store on the corner of Sixth and Front.

•Harry Campbell has a dry goods store where the pool hall is. (South side of Front Street, about mid-block between South Fifth and South Sixth Streets)

•S. V. R. Sherwood is postmaster where the City Hotel is.

•Mrs. Walter Davis has a bookstore in the same building.

•N. McFadden has a drug store where the Ransford annex is.

•Miss Mattie Kaley’s restaurant stands on stilts where the First National Bank is now. (Southeast corner of Front and South Sixth Streets)

•C. B. Sleeper has an office where the Olympia Candy kitchen is. (702 Laurel Street)

•Judge Holland, county attorney, has an office near the old fire hall.

•George Whitney is sheriff; the jail is on Fifth Street just south of the hay market.

•Mrs. C. B. Sleeper keeps a boarding house where Fitzsimmons and Wagner are.

•R. H. Paine has a meat market on the Hoffman corner.

•Charlie Wilson has a grocery store and saloon where the Hayes block is.

•Mrs. Grandelmeyer has a dress-making shop on Front Street between Third and Fourth.

•Jack O’Neil, who shot Faker George in 1877, keeps the Last Turn Saloon.

•Judge Conant lives where the post office is, and Mr. Holland boards there. (Southeast corner of Maple and South Sixth Streets)

•J. L. Starcher keeps a grocery store on Laurel Street.

•Ed French has a saloon, the Le Bon Ton, where the Lively Garage is. (South side of Laurel Street about mid-block between South Fifth and South Sixth Streets; 512-516 Laurel Street)

•Tom Cantwell keeps a grocery store where the Brainerd Grocery is now.

•Bob McGee runs the little pump station near the N. P. Bridge and furnishes water to the shops. (Near the Mississippi River between Washington and Laurel Streets)

•Farnham and Lovejoy have a little sawmill on Boom Lake.

•L. P. White, Father of Brainerd, is agent for the Puget Sound Company, selling real estate.

James M. Quinn wrote an interesting article in the Dispatch of May 4, 1922, on Old Lumber Jack Days [arrived in Brainerd early morning of 11-12 November 1873]:

•The old Number One Saloon stands on the [southeast] corner of Fifth and Laurel, across from the Leland House. (Where 1999 Post Office is located)

•There is a man killed that night [11-12 November 1873] at the saloon next to the Last Turn, but I do not remember his name.

•Seth C. Thomas, father of Mrs. Judd Wright, receives deposits and makes loans in his little “banking” office in the rear of the Hill & Co. store.

•The Bank of Brainerd opens at Fifth and Front, where Larrabee’s Cafe [1922] is now.

•Nearby are E. M. Westfall’s Clothing store, McFadden and Johnson’s Pharmacy, J. T. Sanborn’s City Hotel.

Among the many business houses advertising in the newspapers during the eighties are:

•W. A. Smith and Co., “Nobby and staple things in boots and shoes”

•Leopold, “The Boss Clothier”

•F. G. Sundberg, jeweler

•Proud Bakery

•C. B. Sleeper’s real estate and law offices

•C. V. Wadham, boots and shoes

•Brainerd Bazaar: “See our 5 and 10 cent counters”

•Linneman and Koop, dry goods

•Conklin, Clark, and Co, hardware

•Variety Theatre, a ramshackle affair near the old hay market, destroyed by fire shortly after it was built.

•The Sleeper Opera House, just north of the O’Brien Mercantile Company (Mid-block on South Eighth [Broadway] between Front and Laurel Streets)

•The Park Opera House built 1890 (North side of Front Street directly across from the southeast corner of Fifth and Front Streets)

Men of interest from Brainerd who were veterans of the Civil War:

Hagedorn, H. J.

Shupe, William

Sleeper, Chauncey B.

Toohey, Martin

(Brainerd’s Half Century, Ingolf Dillan, General Printing Company, Minneapolis, Minnesota: 1923; p. 138)

Men of interest from Brainerd who were veterans of World War I:

Brady, John James

Burke, A. E.

Clark, Dan

Cleary, Robert Russell

Cleary, Roy

Cleary, Walter Thomas

Cleary, William Raymond [9/11/1931]

Elvig, Henry [1897-1956]

Fullerton, David Harry [1895-1958]

Schiel, Arthur Herman [1892-1981]

Funk, Joseph Frank [1894-1971]

Smith, Kirk James [1895-1974]

Golemboske, Earl Louis [1894-1971]

Swift, Walter Eugene [1896-1957]

Imgrund, Ernest

Imgrund, John Frank [1897-1975]

Mraz, Alfred C. [1890-1961]

Mraz, Joseph M. [1895-1966]

McGivern, Fred J. [1877-1936]

McNaughton, William Henry [1893- 1973]

Mills, Henry Casper [1890-1973]

Mills, Stewart Charles [1891-1978]

Norquist, Bert [1895-1966]

Rappel, Clarence Charles [1897-1973]

Sundine, Ferdinand M. [10/20/1920]

Veillette, Albert A. [1894-1970]

Wells, Fred Oelo

(Brainerd’s Half Century, Ingolf Dillan, General Printing Company, Minneapolis, Minnesota: 1923; pp. 139-144)

Brainerd’s Old Settlers

Adair, Mr. and Mrs. S. R. 1889--R

Former jeweler. County treasurer since 1905. Executive chairman of 50th Anniversary Celebration, 1922. A most public spirited citizen. See picture. (p. 122)

Allston, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel. 1890--R (p. 122)

1931-32 Brainerd City Directory, Saml Allston moved to South Long Lake

Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. J. P. 1882--R

Superintendent of N. P. Ry. shops. (p. 122)

Bartsch, Mr. and Mrs. William P. 1881--R

Taught music in the city since 1884; for twenty years a member of the famous Dresskell’s Band. (p. 122)

Bean, W. L. 1893

New Haven, Connecticut. N. Y., N. H. & H. Ry. (mech Ass’t to Pres.) [New York, New Haven & Hartford Railway] (p. 122)

Brady, Timothy H. (“Tim”) 1871--R

Retired as engineer, 1922, after 56 years’ service. Ran the “Minnetonka” engine in Homecoming Parade, July 4, 1922. See picture. (p. 123)

Chapman, Mrs. Sarah. 1872--R

Continuous residence since 1872. Owner of the Chapman House, one of the first hotels in Brainerd. Age 92 years at time of Homecoming celebration, 1922. See picture. (p. 123) [1831-1925]

Cosgrove, Mrs. Margaret. 1884--H

Minneapolis (p. 123)

Cosgrove, Mr. Thomas. 1887--H

Duluth (p. 123)

Dunn, Henry P. 1885--R

Druggist. Mayor 1911-12. Postmaster since 1914. An active citizen. See article and picture. (p. 124)

Early, Mrs. C. G. (nee Julia Fitzgerald) 1872--H

St. Paul. One of the first two public school teachers in Brainerd. (p. 124)

Gardner, Mr. and Mrs. James. 1871 and 1874--R

He was engineer of construction trains into Brainerd in 1871 and of General Custer’s train to Bismarck in 1876 at the time of the Indian rebellion. See picture. (p. 125)

Hagadorn, Fred. 1882--R (p. 126)

Low, Mr. and Mrs. F. E. 1872 and 1877--H

St. Paul (p. 129)

Lynch, Monsignor D. W. 1892

Duluth (p. 129)

McColl, Mr. and Mrs. J. A.--R

Photographer and merchant. (p. 129)

McGivern, Mrs. Fred [nee Caroline ‘Carrie’ Deering]. 1877--R (p. 129)

McKay, Mr. and Mrs. Chas. D.--R (p. 129)

McNaughton, John. 1877 (p. 129)

McPherson, Mrs. George S. 1891--H

Toronto, CANADA. (p. 129)

Murphy, James H. 1877--R

Mother drove in by stage in 1870. See article. (p. 130)

Nolan, Mr. and Mrs. James J. 1891 and 1879--R (p. 130)

O’Connor, Mrs. Kate. 1872--R

Her father, Martin Toohey, helped lay the first track into the round house. (p. 130)

Rifenrath, Leo. 1886--R (p. 132)

Sanborn, J. T. 1883--R

Proprietor of the City Hotel 1886-1904.

Judge of Probate since 1902. (p. 132)

Small, Winnifred V. 1888--R (p.132)

Webb, E. O.

Arrived in Brainerd April 10, 1879, 2:30 P. M. Official of the Parker-Topping Foundry Co. (p. 134)

White, I. U. 1870--R

Came to Brainerd as a sixteen year old boy, Sept. 20, 1870. For a half century active in the affairs of the city. Partner with his brother, C. B. White, in the hardware and contracting business. See article by him. See picture. (p. 134)

‘R’ means currently [1922] a resident of Brainerd.

‘H’ means attended the Homecoming celebration in 1922.

(Brainerd’s Half Century, Ingolf Dillan, General Printing Company, Minneapolis, Minnesota: 1923; pp. 122-134)

Major Fires in Brainerd

1871-1947

•Haymarket Fire 1886 (First Catholic Church burns.)

•Villard Hotel 1887

•Sleeper Opera House 02 January 1898

•”Old Brainerd” Fire July 1903 (All the old wooden buildings on Laurel and Front west of Fifth Street burn.)

•Arlington Hotel 01 January 1904

•Bly’s Store June 1904

•Columbia Block 18 October 1909 (George West’s Horseshoe Bar and Restaurant burn.)

(100th Anniversary, Aurora Lodge, No. 100--A. F. & A. M., 1973; containing 75th Anniversary History, 1947, Carl Zapffe, p. 18 and Brainerd 1871-1946, Carl Zapffe, Colwell Press, Incorporated, Minneapolis, Minnesota: 1946; p. 86)

1947-1973

•Iron Exchange Building 22 July 1970

•Ransford Hotel [1972] 13 July 1975 [$43,400 demolition bid let]

09 August 1975 demolition begins

(100th Anniversary, Aurora Lodge, No. 100--A. F. & A. M., 1973, Walter Armstrong, pp. 71, 79)

1974-1999

•Roberts Drug, Alderman’s Hardware, old Esser’s Bar 26 February 1987

Picture missing??? (South side Laurel Street between 6th and 7th Streets)

Other Fires in Brainerd

•Baehr Building 28 December 1964

•Citizens State Bank corner 18 January 1907

One of the worst fires in some time occurred in Brainerd last evening. As a result the entire Citizens State Bank corner, clear to the alley is a mass of ruins. The total loss is near $50,000 with an insurance of a little over $16,000. (This Was Brainerd, Brainerd Daily Dispatch, 18 January 2007)

MISCELLANEOUS BUILDING INFORMATION

•In March 1925 W. J. Garvey is preparing to build a new front on his restaurant next to the Dispatch building. The new front will be a white enameled brick. Windows in the second story will also be changed. (This Was Brainerd, Brainerd Daily Dispatch, 30 March 2005)

This building was located on the east side of Sixth Street mid-way between Front and Laurel Streets. In the 1950’s it was known as the Land O’Lakes Cafe, owned by George Drake.

•In April 1905 the Christian Scientists of this city are to erect a new church on the lots, which they bought recently of Mrs. C. Grandelmeyer on the corner of Eighth and Kingwood Streets North. It will be one of the prettiest churches in the city. (This Was Brainerd, Brainerd Daily Dispatch, 11 April 2005)

This church is currently located on the northeast corner of Fifth and Kingwood Streets. I don’t know if the address has changed or if the church moved. I suspect the address has changed and this is the original church.

CONSTRUCTION DATES UNKNOWN

•Circa 1882 B. F. and G. G. Hartley erected the Hartley Block in Brainerd, which stands where part of the Ransford Hotel was built. [On the south side of Front between Fifth and Sixth Streets.] (Brainerd 1871-1946, Carl Zapffe, Colwell Press, Incorporated, Minneapolis, Minnesota: 1946; p. 20)

•The Old Number One Saloon is located where the old Greyhound Bus Depot was located [on the southeast corner of Laurel and Fifth Streets]. (Oldtimers . . . Stories of Our Pioneers, Carl A. Zapffe, Echo Publishing Company, Pequot Lakes, Minnesota: 1987; p. 31)

•The Gotenborg Saloon is located next west of the Last Turn Saloon in 1873. (Oldtimers . . . Stories of Our Pioneers, Carl A. Zapffe, Echo Publishing Company, Pequot Lakes, Minnesota: 1987; p. 31)

•Sleeper’s Opera House was located on South Eighth (aka Broadway) where Winkler’s Furs was located about the middle of the block on the east side of the street where Ron’s Jewelry is currently (1998) located. (100th Anniversary, Aurora Lodge, No. 100--A.F. & A. M., 1973; containing 75th Anniversary History, 1947, Carl Zapffe, p. 11)

•On 18 October 1968 the wrecking ball is poised to raze the Northern Pacific Depot in Brainerd. [Friday, 18 October 1968] (Brainerd Daily Dispatch, Sunday, 18 October 1998, Thirty Years Ago)

SUPERINTENDENTS OF THE NORTHERN PACIFIC RAILROAD SHOPS

1871 to March 3, 1873 George W. Cushing, Sup’t of Machinery

1871 to March 1, 1873 C. D. Whiley, Assistant Sup’t of Machinery

March 1, 1874 to December 4, 1877 William H. Lewis, Ass’t Sup’t of Machinery

December 4, 1877 to June 17, 1882 A. P. Farrar, Ass’t Superintendent of Machinery

June 19, 1882 to June 5, 1887 H. J. Small, Ass’t Superintendent of Machinery

June 15, 1887 to August 31, 1893 Adam Bardsley, Master Mechanic

August 31, 1893 to June 10, 1903 S. L. Bean, Master Mechanic and Shop Sup’t

June 11, 1903 to February 1, 1904 A. W. Wheatley, Shop Superintendent

February 1, 1904 to October 13, 1930 J. P. Anderson, Shop Superintendent

November 1, 1930 to October 31, 1939 H. E. Bergstrom, Shop Superintendent

November 1, 1939 to November 30, 1941 M. H. Nelson, Shop Superintendent

December 1, 1941 to John E. Vanni, Shop Superintendent

(Brainerd 1871-1946, Carl Zapffe, Colwell Press, Incorporated, Minneapolis, Minnesota: 1946; p. 205)

SCHOOL SUPERINTENDENTS 1883-1922

The superintendents [of school] since 1883 are W. J. Turner, J. A. Wilson, E. K. Cheadle, B. T. Hathaway, John L. Torrens, T. B. Hartley, and W. C. Cobb.

HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPALS 1900-1922

High school principals of the last two decades include Mr. Hanft, Mr. McCarthy, R. R. Denison, M. B. Scherich, and Miss Mary Tornstrom. (Brainerd’s Half Century, Ingolf Dillan, General Printing Company, Minneapolis, Minnesota: 1923; p. 32)

STREETS RENAMED

In December 1923, the Brainerd City Council took on the task of renaming the streets in Northeast Brainerd. To clarify Northeast Brainerd, that designation applies only to streets in what was considered East Brainerd. Beginning with Kindred Street and following with all streets north that run east and west, letters of the alphabet were to be used. I might add that this system was objected to by the local postmaster. Kindred became “A” Street, Farrar “B” Street, Forsythe “C” Street, Pine “D” Street, Prescott and Oak “E”, Myrtle and Maple “F”, Pear and Elm “G”, Ash “H”, Rosabel and Pascal “I”, Kinsey and Firman “J”, Quincy “K”, Washington “L”, Schwartz and Woodward “M”, Whiteley “N”, Lake “O”, Elder “P” and Water “Q”. (Crow Wing County Historical Society Newsletter, March 1999, Lost in the Shuffle, Lucille Kirkeby)

2002 National Register of Historic Places

Crow Wing County

Brainerd Public Library (added 1980 - Building - #80002022)

206 North Seventh Street, Brainerd

Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown

Architectural Style: Classical Revival

Area of Significance: Education, Architecture

Period of Significance: 1900-1924

Owner: Local Gov't

Historic Function: Education

Historic Sub-function: Library

Current Function: Education

Current Sub-function: Library

Brainerd Water Tower (added 1974 - Structure - #74001014)

Washington at Sixth Street, Brainerd

(10 acres, 1 structure)

Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering

Architect, builder, or engineer: Wolff, L.P.

Area of Significance: Engineering

Period of Significance: 1900-1924

Owner: Local Gov't

Historic Function: Government

Historic Sub-function: Public Works

Current Function: Vacant/Not In Use

Bridge Number 5265--Garrison (added 1998 - Structure - #98000681)

US Highway 169 near Mille Lacs Lake, Garrison

Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering

Architect, builder, or engineer: National Park Service, Civilian Conservation Corps

Architectural Style: Other

Area of Significance: Engineering

Period of Significance: 1925-1949

Owner: State

Historic Function: Transportation

Historic Sub-function: Road-Related

Current Function: Transportation

Current Sub-function: Road-Related

Broach, H. H., House (added 1980 - Building - #80002037)

Also known as Shawano House

Pequot Boulevard, Pequot Lakes

Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering

Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown

Architectural Style: No Style Listed

Area of Significance: Architecture

Period of Significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949

Owner: Private

Historic Function: Domestic, Landscape, Recreation And Culture

Historic Sub-function: Outdoor Recreation, Single Dwelling, Street Furniture/Object

Current Function: Domestic, Landscape, Recreation And Culture

Current Sub-function: Outdoor Recreation, Single Dwelling, Street Furniture/Object

Cross Lake Camp and Log Dump District (added 1973 - District - #73002332)

North of Cross Lake, Cross Lake

Crow Wing County Courthouse and Jail (added 1980 - Building - #80002023)

326 Laurel Street, Brainerd

Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Architect, builder, or engineer: Alden & Harris

Architectural Style: No Style Listed

Area of Significance: Politics/Government, Architecture, Social History

Period of Significance: 1900-1924

Owner: Local Gov't

Historic Function: Government

Historic Sub-function: Correctional Facility, Courthouse, Government Office

Current Function: Government

Current Sub-function: Correctional Facility, Courthouse, Government Office

Crow Wing State Park (added 1970 - Site - #70000288)

Also known as Crow Wing

Off MN Highway 371, Baxter

Historic Significance: Information Potential

Area of Significance: Historic - Aboriginal, Commerce, Historic - Non-Aboriginal

Cultural Affiliation: Dakota, Chippewa, American, rural

Period of Significance: 1750-1799, 1800-1824, 1825-1849

Owner: State

Historic Function: Domestic

Historic Sub-function: Village Site

Current Function: Landscape

Current Sub-function: Park

Deerwood Auditorium (added 1995 - Building - #95001376)

27 East Forest Road, Deerwood

Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Architect, builder, or engineer: Buetow, Carl H., WPA

Architectural Style: Moderne

Area of Significance: Politics/Government, Architecture, Social History

Period of Significance: 1925-1949

Owner: Local Gov't

Historic Function: Education, Government, Recreation And Culture

Historic Sub-function: Auditorium, City Hall, Fire Station, Library, Sport Facility

Current Function: Government, Recreation And Culture

Current Sub-function: Auditorium, City Hall, Correctional Facility, Sport Facility

Elevated Metal Water Tank, Crosby (added 1980 - Structure - #80002027)

West side First Avenue East, between First and Second Streets North, Crosby

Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Architect, builder, or engineer: Des Moines Bridge & Iron Co.

Area of Significance: Community Planning And Development, Engineering

Period of Significance: 1900-1924

Owner: Local Gov't

Historic Function: Government

Historic Sub-function: Public Works

Current Function: Government

Current Sub-function: Public Works

Elevated Metal Water Tank, Cuyuna (added 1980 - Structure - #80002028)

North Street, North side, West of Chicago Avenue, Cuyuna

Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Architect, builder, or engineer: Minneapolis Steel Machinery Co.

Area of Significance: Community Planning And Development, Engineering

Period of Significance: 1900-1924

Owner: Local Gov't

Historic Function: Government

Historic Sub-function: Public Works

Current Function: Government

Current Sub-function: Public Works

Elevated Metal Water Tank, Deerwood (added 1980 - Structure - #80002029)

211 Maple Street, Deerwood

Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Architect, builder, or engineer: Des Moines Bridge & Iron Co.

Area of Significance: Community Planning And Development, Engineering

Period of Significance: 1900-1924

Owner: Local Gov't

Historic Function: Government

Historic Sub-function: Public Works

Current Function: Government

Current Sub-function: Public Works

Elevated Metal Water Tank, Ironton (added 1980 - Structure - #80002030)

Seventh Street, South side, West of Viola Avenue, Ironton

Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Architect, builder, or engineer: Minneapolis Steel & Machinery Co.

Area of Significance: Community Planning And Development, Engineering

Period of Significance: 1900-1924

Owner: Local Gov't

Historic Function: Government

Historic Sub-function: Public Works

Current Function: Government

Current Sub-function: Public Works

Elevated Metal Water Tank, Trommald (added 1980 - Structure - #80002038)

In Trommald, Trommald

Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Architect, builder, or engineer: Minneapolis Steel & Machinery Co.

Area of Significance: Community Planning And Development, Engineering

Period of Significance: 1900-1924

Owner: Local Gov't

Historic Function: Government

Historic Sub-function: Public Works

Current Function: Government

Current Sub-function: Public Works

Fawcett, Wilford H., House (added 1980 - Building - #80002036)

Also known as Fawcett House at Breezy Point

Off County Highway 4, Breezy Point

Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Person

Architect, builder, or engineer: Magney & Tussler

Architectural Style: Other

Historic Person: Fawcett, Wilford H.

Significant Year: 1928, 1922

Area of Significance: Literature, Architecture

Period of Significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949

Owner: Private

Historic Function: Domestic

Historic Sub-function: Camp

Current Function: Domestic

Current Sub-function: Camp

Fort Flatmouth Mounds (added 1973 - Site - #73000975)

Address Restricted, Crosslake, (Mission Township)

Historic Significance: Information Potential

Area of Significance: Prehistoric

Cultural Affiliation: Native American

Period of Significance: 1499-1000 AD

Owner: Private

Historic Function: Domestic

Historic Sub-function: Village Site

Current Function: Landscape

Current Sub-function: Unoccupied Land

Gordon-Schaust Site (added 1974 - District - #74001015)

Address Restricted, Cross Lake

Historic Significance: Information Potential

Area of Significance: Prehistoric

Cultural Affiliation: Native American

Period of Significance: 1499-1000 AD

Owner: Private

Historic Function: Domestic

Historic Sub-function: Camp

Current Function: Agriculture/Subsistence, Education

Grand View Lodge (added 1980 - Building - #80002034)

Off County Highway 77, Nisswa

Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown

Architectural Style: No Style Listed

Area of Significance: Entertainment/Recreation, Architecture

Period of Significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949

Owner: Private

Historic Function: Domestic

Historic Sub-function: Hotel

Current Function: Domestic, Recreation And Culture

Current Sub-function: Hotel, Outdoor Recreation

Hemstead, Werner, House (added 1980 - Building - #80002024)

303 North Fourth Street, Brainerd

Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Person

Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown

Architectural Style: Classical Revival

Historic Person: Hemstead, Werner

Significant Year: 1900

Area of Significance: Commerce, Architecture

Period of Significance: 1900-1924

Owner: Private

Historic Function: Domestic

Historic Sub-function: Single Dwelling

Current Function: Domestic

Current Sub-function: Multiple Dwelling

Ironton City Hall (added 2002 - Building - #02000637)

Also known as Ironton Village Hall

309 Third Street, Ironton

Historic Significance: Event

Area of Significance: Social History, Politics/Government

Period of Significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949, 1950-1974

Owner: Local Gov't

Historic Function: Education, Government, Recreation And Culture, Social

Historic Sub-function: Auditorium, City Hall, Civic, Correctional Facility, Fire Station, Library, Meeting Hall

Current Function: Education, Government

Current Sub-function: City Hall, Fire Station, Library

Ironton Sintering Plant Complex (added 1980 - District - #80002031)

Also known as Ironton Sintering Plant Site

County Highway 30, Crosby

(200 acres, 6 buildings, 2 structures)

Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Architect, builder, or engineer: Hanna Mining Co.

Architectural Style: No Style Listed

Area of Significance: Industry, Engineering, Invention

Period of Significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949

Owner: Local Gov't

Historic Function: Industry/Processing/Extraction

Historic Sub-function: Manufacturing Facility

Current Function: Vacant/Not In Use

Minnesota and International Railroad Freight House and Shelter Shed (added 1980 - Building - #80002033)

Also known as Lake Hubert Depot

County Highway 30, Nisswa

Historic Significance: Event

Area of Significance: Transportation, Entertainment/Recreation

Period of Significance: 1900-1924

Owner: Private

Historic Function: Transportation

Historic Sub-function: Rail-Related

Current Function: Recreation And Culture

Current Sub-function: Museum

Minnewawa Lodge (added 1980 - Building - #80002035)

County Highway 13, Nisswa

Historic Significance: Event

Area of Significance: Entertainment/Recreation

Period of Significance: 1875-1899, 1900-1924

Owner: Private

Historic Function: Domestic, Recreation And Culture

Historic Sub-function: Hotel, Outdoor Recreation

Current Function: Domestic, Recreation And Culture

Current Sub-function: Hotel, Outdoor Recreation

Northern Pacific Railroad Shops Historic District (added 1989 - District - #88003024)

Also known as Burlington Northern Shops; International Trade Center

Roughly bounded by the Burlington Northern Railroad tracks, Laurel and 13th Streets, Brainerd

(250 acres, 10 buildings)

Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Architect, builder, or engineer: Northern Pacific Engineering Dept.

Architectural Style: Other

Area of Significance: Engineering, Transportation, Architecture

Period of Significance: 1875-1899, 1900-1924, 1925-1949

Owner: Private

Historic Function: Transportation

Historic Sub-function: Rail-Related

Current Function: Industry/Processing/Extraction, Vacant/Not In Use

Current Sub-function: Manufacturing Facility

Parker Building (added 1980 - Building - #80002025)

Also known as Citizens State Bank

623 Laurel Street, Brainerd

Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event

Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown

Architectural Style: Romanesque

Area of Significance: Architecture, Commerce

Period of Significance: 1900-1924

Owner: Private

Historic Function: Commerce/Trade

Historic Sub-function: Business, Financial Institution

Current Function: Commerce/Trade

Current Sub-function: Business, Specialty Store

Pine Lake Mound (added 1973 - Site - #73002336)

Address Restricted, Pine Lake

Red River Trail: Crow Wing Section (added 1991 - Site - #90002201)

Also known as Woods Trail; Crow Wing Trail; Pembina Trail

Off County Highway 27, Crow Wing State Park, Fort Ripley Township, Baxter

Historic Significance: Event

Area of Significance: Transportation

Period of Significance: 1825-1849, 1850-1874

Owner: State

Historic Function: Transportation

Historic Sub-function: Road-Related

Current Function: Transportation

Current Sub-function: Pedestrian Related

Round Lake Outlet Site (21CW48) (added 1984 - Site - #84003934)

Also known as 21CW48

Address Restricted, Fort Ripley

Historic Significance: Information Potential

Area of Significance: Prehistoric

Cultural Affiliation: Archaic, Middle Woodland

Period of Significance: 1000-2999 BC, 1000 AD-999 BC

Owner: Private

Historic Function: Domestic

Historic Sub-function: Camp

Current Function: Landscape

Current Sub-function: Unoccupied Land

Sebre Lake Site (21-CW-55) (added 1984 - Site - #84000445)

Also known as 21-CW-55

Address Restricted, Fort Ripley

Historic Significance: Information Potential

Area of Significance: Prehistoric

Cultural Affiliation: Archaic, Middle Woodland, Late Woodland

Period of Significance: 2500-2999 BC, 2000-2499 BC, 1500-1999 BC, 1000-1499 BC, 500-999 BC, 499-0 BC, 499-0 AD, 1000-500 AD

Owner: Private, Local Gov't

Historic Function: Domestic

Historic Sub-function: Camp

Current Function: Domestic, Landscape

Current Sub-function: Camp, Unoccupied Land

Soo Line Depot (added 1980 - Building - #80002026)

Also known as Crosby Railroad Depot/Historical Society

First Street, North and First Avenue, East, Crosby

Historic Significance: Event

Area of Significance: Industry, Commerce, Transportation

Period of Significance: 1900-1924

Owner: Local Gov't

Historic Function: Transportation

Historic Sub-function: Rail-Related

Current Function: Recreation And Culture

Current Sub-function: Museum

Spina Hotel (added 1980 - Building - #80002032)

Curtis Avenue and Fourth Street, Ironton

Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown

Architectural Style: No Style Listed

Area of Significance: Commerce, Architecture

Period of Significance: 1900-1924

Owner: Private

Historic Function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic

Historic Sub-function: Business, Hotel, Restaurant, Specialty Store

Current Function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic, Government

Current Sub-function: Business, Hotel, Post Office, Restaurant, Specialty Store

St. Columba Mission Site (added 1973 - Site - #73000974)

Address Restricted, Nisswa

Historic Significance: Information Potential

Area of Significance: Historic - Non-Aboriginal

Cultural Affiliation: American

Period of Significance: 1850-1874

Owner: Private

Historic Function: Religion

Historic Sub-function: Church School, Religious Structure

Current Function: Landscape

Upper Hay Lake Archeological District (added 1974 - District - #74001016)

Address Restricted, Jenkins

(2000 acres, 75 structures)

Historic Significance: Information Potential

Area of Significance: Prehistoric

Cultural Affiliation: Woodland, Blackduck phase

Period of Significance: 1000-500 AD, 1499-1000 AD, 1749-1500 AD

Owner: Private

Historic Function: Domestic

Historic Sub-function: Village Site

Current Function: Agriculture/Subsistence

Workers' Hall (added 1980 - Building - #80004878)

Also known as Masonic Hall

Off MN Highway 210, Crosby

Owner: Private